Thursday, March 23, 2017

The Advantage

Bought a new laptop from the recently concluded IT Show at Suntec. Did a little bit of on-the-spot research before deciding on the brand and model. Nothing unusual about the laptop. Its just the way I, a true blue Singalion managed to get the maximum benefits out of the purchase!

Firstly, they gave me a UNSOLICITED discount of $40!
I walked around the entire show floor and all the prices displayed for this laptop was the same from all the dealers. I approached Dealer 1 and although the sales person was ok, I decided to hold off because I was still undecided about which one to buy. After walking around and looking at all the models and brands and noticing the same prices everywhere, I finally made up my mind and so decided to get it over and done with. I approached Dealer 2 with the intention to purchase the laptop that I wanted. But being the typical me, I did a bit of aimless questioning with the sales gal and pretended to play around with the display set. Maybe the pretty gal had something to do with it! Anyway, when I was finally ready to seal the deal with her, some other guys came out of nowhere and started to ask the same gal some questions on the laptop as well....talk about being ultra rude indeed...... I thought they will eventually leave after the questions but amazingly, they decided to buy the laptop so they made the order. I was standing there quietly the whole time, a bit surprised but since the gal was going to write up their order, she also decided to ask me if I wanted it as well and I said yes.....why not right? Well, after a while of checking, she said "only left ONE. And since the other guys placed their order first, she has to give it to them". Damn.....wasted my time....so suay. But then, there were so many other dealers at the show selling the same thing at the same price, no big deal. Therefore I walked across to Dealer 3 and approached a dude to buy the laptop. He wasn't as helpful or interested with me to be frank. Maybe because I am a guy, I dunno. Anyway, a sale is a sale right?! So he started to write the order for me. Halfway through, he surprised me by saying "I am giving you a $40 discount". I was like totally not expecting anything in the first place, so I just kinda said something like "oh....why har??"...lol....stupid question right?? Anyway I think he did not answer me, but heck, a discount is a discount! Yeah! First win of the day!

Next, they gave me the wrong laptop bag.
Now this was not a bad thing cos it was supposed to be a brandless backpack that cost $49. They gave me a SAMSONITE laptop bag worth $129 instead! And its in coffee colour....totally suits me!
I did not notice the mistake till I reached home. In fact, the whole time while I was at the cashier, I kinda noticed a deep dent in the CARDBOARD BOX containing the laptop and so, was too busy thinking through my mind if I should ask them to change the set they were giving me. I called out to the cashier who had her back to me and was busy packing my stuff for me. She did not hear me......I thought nevermind, since thats the case, perhaps its not meant to be exchanged......and it can't be that bad, so decided to have some faith to leave it to the good graces of the higher powers upstairs. When I reached the car, decided to check the dent and true enough, although deep, it did not penetrate through the box to the laptop,  so it was safe! I then took out the brochure to see what I should get, just to make sure I did not miss anything. I noticed that I was supposed to get a free backpack. But the bag that they gave me certainly do not appear to be a backpack! I was pissed.....I want a backpack, not some normal laptop bag! Thought I was shortchanged! Anyway, decided to drive home instead of going back to the show cos it was kinda near closing time and I was already tired. When I reached home, decided to study the fine prints and the bag. Thats when I noticed that the laptop I purchased was supposed to come with a $49 backpack while laptops of a higher range and price will get a SAMSONITE laptop bag worth $129. I checked my bag given. Its the SAMSONITE bag! Second win of the day!

2 days later, on Sunday morning, I took out the brochure again for NO REASON to look through. Actually wanted to flip through one last time before trashing it. Thats when I noticed the first page. Free gift (worth $29) for all purchases made at the IT Show.......damn....I was pissed again cos ALL 3 DEALERS did not advise me that there was such a free gift that day! In any case, I had wanted to return to the IT Show on Sunday to look at some other stuff anyway. So back to the show I went. Looked around, found the redemption booth and so I asked to redeem the gift.

"Can I have your product please? I need to scan the bar code" he said.
"What?! I bought this 2 days ago! Its already at home! I have the receipt here, it should be sufficient right?!"
"No, cos I need to scan the bar code".
I was getting pissed again.....told him nevermind then......didnt wanna lose my temper.....so I turned around to walk off....
Then I remembered! I had taken a picture of the product bar codes, serial numbers and receipt 2 days ago! Its my habit whenever I buy such stuff that has warranty. So I turned around and showed him the picture I had on my phone.
"Yes! This will do!" he said!
Win number 3!!!!

A simple purchase of a simple product resulted in 3 UNEXPECTED wins! They may mean very little to other people but to a true blue Singalion like me, they mean alot!!!

Always have faith. You just never know when you will be blessed! Thank you for blessing me. I know I will cherish this laptop even beyond its lifespan simply because of these 3 wins. Its the happy memories it invokes.....lol.
So everybody......have faith!
AMEN!

No comments: